Saturday, January 1, 2011

Un-Resolutions

I used to make a lot of resolutions. All the classics like lose weight, eat healthier, exercise more. Or some different ones like spend more time with family, remember friends and family's birthdays. But, like a lot of people, the resolutions usually went out the window by Valentine's Day. Plenty of good intentions but very little follow through.



This year, I'm trying a new thing. I like new things. A fresh perspective on an old idea. How about this... An UNresolution.



Here's my list of UNresolutions:



1. I break my resolution to engage in critical, negative thinking and speaking. Out the window goes the words "I can't", "I could never" and other similar statements and thoughts.


2. I break my resolution to be in control of everything. This is a difficult one for me, but in the end I know I'm not in control and trying to pretend I am only separates me from the One who is.


3. I break my resolution to worry. Again, not easy. But worry, like wanting to be in control, just causes separation between me and God.


4. I break my resolution to relive my past. I am a new creation in Christ and focusing on my past mistakes and heartbreaks negates the price Jesus paid for me.


5. I break my resolution to see my future through my own eyes. That's much too small! Instead I think I'll use God's vision for my future this year.



I think I'll end there. I'm sure I could go on and on, but a small, manageable list is usually best for me.



What about you? Is there anything you want to unresolve for this year? I'd love to hear about it.

2 comments:

Marni said...

Fantastic entry! Love it!

I have to say I UNresolve to be fearful this year - allowing myself to let my fear I feel at times prompt me to live more in faith (instead of shirk away from the risk), and allowing myself to fail and let God do all the putting back together (should I fail).

That is about it for now - that is what is centrally on my heart and mind. Thank you for the difference of mindset...this is definitely something to ponder more of!

Dawn said...

That's a great one Marni....maybe I should add that to my list too!